Alright, enough chitter-chatter and self promotion, it’s time to get back to work. But before we start talking about cell phones watch this 3 minute video. It is hilarious. However, it does contain some profanity so if you are a young child or my grandmother or my mother-in-law you should probably skip it.
Sound familiar? You know that woman? I’m pretty sure I do.
Anyhoo, a friend of mine was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer. The good news is that he is doing very well and has a good prognosis. Questions were raised about the cell phone he kept in his front pants pocket. What about it? Is it safe to keep your phone close to your junk, your privates, the family jewels? Is it safe to use a cell phone at all? Is your cell phone trying to kill you? Probably.
Cell phone radiation emission and possible links to brain and mouth cancers have been getting a lot of coverage these days. GQ’s somewhat hysterical (even by my standards) article makes an interesting and terrifying case that cell phones and wireless networks are doing irrevocable damage to humans. The piece is heavy on the conspiracy theories but makes some valid points.
Fortunately our good-old friends at the Environmental Working Group have taken all this information and put out a guide and rating system of cell phone emissions.
Oh calm down, this doesn’t mean you need to go out and replace your phone immediately. It’s something to keep in mind and refer to when it’s time to buy a new one. Also, they have a list of great suggestions on how – while using your cell phone – to limit exposure.
- Use a headset. It emits less radiation. Experts are split on whether wired or wireless is better.
- Phones emit most when you are talking or texting, not receiving, so be quiet.
- Keep the phone away from your body.
- Text more. The phone uses less radiation and it is held away from your head.
- Make calls when the signal is strong. Phones emit more radiation when the signal is weak.
- Limit children’s phone use.
- Don’t use radiation shields. They force phones to transmit at a higher power and higher radiation.
Now, carry on…